Feeling down, out, and. . .not very confident lately? You’re not alone! Research shows that over 97% of women have a negative body image, and most women have 13 negative thoughts about their bodies a day. Ouch! Nasty, self-sabotaging thoughts are a sure-fire way to lose your mojo. Here are five simple steps you can try today to get your groove back!
- Make a top 10 list of all of the amazing things your body–and you!–can do. Have you run a half-marathon (or even a 5k)? Survived that whitewater rafting trip your senior year of college? Birthed a baby, held down a job, survived a whole morning without coffee? Put it on the list! Then read that list aloud to yourself everyday. . . preferably in front of a mirror, where you can look at your beautiful self. It might seem corny at first, but give it time! Taking a few moments out of every day to sit down and honor accomplishments–no matter how small–might be just the boost you need to get back on track!
- Fill your day with people that make you feel confident and good about yourself. Got a Negative Nancy in your life? How about a Debbie Downer? Whether they’re coworkers or toxic sister-in-laws or a cranky barista, we’ve all got people in our lives that bring us down. Well, you know what? Confident people don’t let others bring them down, and neither should you! Instead, fill your life with people who make you feel good about yourself–they’ll crowd out all the Pessimistic Pams in your life.
- Daily affirmations. Affirmations work by tapping into the power of your subconsious to make positive changes in your life. Your subconsious likes repetition, so repeating simple phrases like “I am beautiful” or “I am confident” will actually make you feel more beautiful and confident! Like reading your top 10 list of amazing things your body can do to yourself everyday (you are doing that, aren’t you?), it will feel corny at first. But it works. Just be sure to avoid the word “no”, since your subconsious might latch onto the negative instead. So don’t say “I don’t get scared when I meet new people”–instead, say “I feel confident when I meet new people.” Stuck on picking a new affirmation? Here’s a few: “I am radiant.”, “I am bursting with creative energy,” or “I am full of self-love.” See? Easy! Keep at it for a week or two and you’ll be sure to notice a difference!
- Treat yourself to something wonderful everyday. Love chocolate? Can’t get enough pedicures? Hooked on The Bachelor? Go on! Treat yourself! After a day of working hard and being awesome, you deserve it! Confident people don’t deny themselves to things that they really love and cherish, and neither should you! Because guess what? You’re worth it! Make a practice of giving yourself at least one thing everyday that gives you joy, even if you don’t feel like you deserve it yet. Being confident is the by-product of self-love, and by treating yourself on a regular basis, you’re giving yourself a crash course in loving #1. On a budget or a diet? Work it into your daily allotment of calories or dollars and you’ll be just fine!
- Wear clothes that are comfortable and flattering to you. Who cares if the fashion industry says four-inch heels are in? Cramming your feet into shoes that are too narrow or cramming your womanly figure into your high school jeans won’t do anything for your confidence. You can’t be your best self when you’re uncomfortable. Instead, take some time and find clothes that fit you well and make you feel beautiful. Short on cash? Thrift shops and discount stores are brimming with hidden gems. . . especially if you’re not a standard size! Invest a few hours and a little moola in a new wardrobe that’s comfortable and flattering for you. It will pay off many times over by nourishing your sense of self-worth and confidence. . .and with a little bit of luck, it could help you land that new job (or that hot new boyfriend!)
And if you’re looking for a few face to go with the new you. . .give some vitamin C serum a try. I’ve been using it for the last few weeks, and WOW. The fine lines that I got after staying up with my fussy baby all night long. . .for over a year straight? Gone overnight. It’s a miracle in a bottle! Hurry, though, because there’s a limited supply! When they run out of fresh, organic ingredients for their vitamin C serum. . .they stop production. Eek. Don’t let that happen to you, grab some today!